Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Question #6 - Is "True Love" True?

Do you believe in true love?                                                                       
First of all, that really depends on what you mean by true love. But going from Wiktionary's definition ("The form of romantic affection that is considered pure and wholly positive, not just based on feelings of lust"), I would have to go with... ehhh. Yes, but no.

The definition in some ways is a contradiction of itself; "pure," but not JUST based on feelings of lust? That implies that lust is still in there somewhere, so I'm not sure you can call that pure. And "wholly positive"? I mean, come on. What is there that is WHOLLY positive?


...because every relationship has issues.
I believe that there is a love that can stand the test of time, because the people involved are willing to make it do so. I believe that love like that isn't based on completely trivial things like someone's 6-pack, because that is definitely not going to last forever. But I'm not naive enough to think that physical attraction isn't often the distinction between friendship and romance, and I'm also not naive enough to think that there's such a thing as a love with no bumps in the road.

Everybody has problems. No relationship lacks flaws. If "true love" means a perfect love, then no, I don't believe it exists. But if it just means one that's not self-destructive, slightly less negatively dysfunctional than most, lasting, and in the long run, enjoyable, then yes. I can believe in something like that. 



(Now soul mates? That's another story.)


cat
^ THAT is True Love.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...