Thursday, August 4, 2011

Question #10 - Can I Have Plans Now?

So this guy I'm dating asked me if I had plans; I wasn't sure if I wanted to hang out with him, but I didn't have plans, so I said "not yet." Now I'm trying to GET plans because I don't want to see him tonight, but I don't want to be rude... what should I have said??

Why, I'm so glad that you asked! This question is, as far as I'm concerned, very easy to answer. As I said in my previous post (Ridin' Solo), one of the great things about not being in a relationship is not having to answer to the whims of your significant other. You're dating this guy, but he's not your boyfriend? Hey, don't feel so obligated! If you don't feel like hanging out with him, you don't have to. After all, it's not like the two of you signed the contract of relationship-dom; you're not even supposed to want to spend all your time with this guy. You're allowed to have a life!

So what do you say?

Here's a tip I consider invaluable:

If you're not sure, you ALWAYS have plans. You can 'cancel' plans if you change your mind, but you can't create them after you've been asked. 

Creating plans after you've already said you had none is most definitely rude. That states, very forwardly, that you are avoiding the person who wants to spend time with you. That may be true, and there are times when you might want to be rude in order to get a point across; but if you're just not sure where you stand, don't do something you might regret.

Good Luck!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...