Thursday, August 25, 2011

Question #12 - Just Friends!

I'm really good friends with a guy. But a lot of my girl friends tease us about it. I'm worried that because they keep suggesting a relationship, he might freak out and our friendship will fall apart. Should I talk to him? Tell my friends to ease up?

First, it is my formal obligation as an advice-giver to read too much into your wording and ask, do you want a relationship with this guy-friend? I realize that if you're concerned about him freaking out over your friends' suggestions, you would probably do nothing about it even if you did. But that's just something to consider.


Next, I want to back up a step. You just told me that you are good friends with this guy. Not friends, but good friends. That leads me to believe that you are, well, good friends. And usually a good friend won't up and freak out because YOUR friends are trying to set the two of you up.

But are these troublesome girl friends people that he trusts and relies on? Does what they think and say usually have a strong impact on him? If so, then my first bit of advice is to talk to HIM. After all, why do you think he'll freak out? Has he done things in the past that would make you think his fight-or-flight instinct is set on flight? If your gut says the relationship-teasing is causing problems, you need to check in and ask him if it's bugging him. In fact, that's almost exactly what you should say.

"Is them saying that bothering you?" Simple, concise, and not a loaded question.

Sorry, I have a lolcat obsession.

If he says yes, then you need to be serious with your friends and tell them that you don't want a relationship, he doesn't want a relationship, and them always bringing it up is slowly starting to RUIN your friendship. If you DO want a relationship, that obviously complicates things, but if your friendship is your top priority then just go with the above response.

Now if he says no, it's up to you whether or not you tell your friends to cut it out. If a relationship with this guy is something you do/might want in the future, my recommendation is to just let them keep at it. After all, every time they bring it up, he thinks about it, whether he wants to or not. And the more you think about something, the more it tends to become part of your life. That's called the Law of Attraction, and I didn't just make it up. If you're not interested in having more than a friendship, then telling them it's getting on your nerves will probably get you some peace.

Good luck, and hope things work out the way you want them to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...