Sunday, February 12, 2012

Basketball

You might have noticed that I've made a mention or two of Cal Women's Basketball today. You might have been one of the unlucky people I beat with blue-and-gold foam things because I was so upset about the outcome of tonight's game, or you might have been somebody I ranted to, or raved to, or asked to use your connections to tell one of the basketball players what a great job I think she did, and how them losing was COMPLETELY BASED ON A VERY BAD CALL.

But I needed to post just one more thing about it... to make myself feel a little bit better.

It was a rough game at the end of the half: our team was losing control of the ball, emotions were running high, there had been two technicals, one player had fouled out, and Cal was down three points with less than 30 seconds left. We finally got possession, Layshia sprinted down the court, and then-
The most amazing shot I have ever seen, from well beyond the men's 3-point line, which swished through just as the buzzer rang.

The crowd went crazy. I was jumping up and down and screaming like a maniac, and nearly falling over and cracking my head open on the bleachers every three seconds or so. The entire team was screaming and throwing themselves at each other, and it was just the best thing EVER.

We were in overtime.

Cal pulled themselves together, had some great shots, and got ahead quickly. But those five minutes dragged on and on, especially stressing everyone out whenever we were playing defense. And then... there was a double dribble of sorts, and possession suddenly went to USC. It was a major mental error that our team just wasn't prepared for, and we quickly lost the "large" lead we'd had. Only one point ahead, with 19 or so seconds left and Layshia just about to make a layup, and the ref called THE most ridiculous charging foul in the history of all time. SERIOUSLY. The game was televised, and even the commentators were shaking their heads as they watched the instant replay.

Needless to say, the confidence Cal had regained was lost in the pressure, and USC got the two points they needed to get ahead. With only 5 seconds left, Lindsay tried to get a three from nowhere near the men's line, and although it was close, she missed.

Can you imagine?? We thought we were winning, then we thought we were losing, then we were tied, then we were going back and forth between gaining two points and losing two points, and suddenly we were down three with NO time left, and Layshia (who is amazing, and I love, but is not exceptionally well know for her three-point shots) makes an INCREDIBLE one, and we're in overtime, and we're doing so well and we're ahead and... we lose?

If I hadn't been so very angry, I might have cried; that's how intense it was. The overwhelming "BOO" that rose from the crowd was an easy indication that I was not the only one, and although I was dying to go talk to the players (particularly #23, the saver of the game) and let them know how amazing they had been, and make MYSELF feel better by attempting to make THEM feel better- I couldn't. I had to leave before they came out again, which just made it even worse... and led me to vent my frustrations about the ridiculously stressful, painful, and emotional game to you, my faithful internet audience.

Thank you, and I'm sorry. Now here are some pictures of Cal stuff.
xoxo,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...