Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baking Adventure #2


Baking Adventure #2 proved to be somewhat of a disaster... at least initially. I'll let you known now that the recipe for Elsie's Wedding Cupcakes is extremely delicious (in other words, the ones I made ended up being edible, even though at first it seemed like I was making a giant failure), and I'm sure if you try them they'll turn out perfectly. I'm just a bit baking challenged.



Everything was going fantastically in the cupcake-batter making process. I can even say after sampling some that it is the best cupcake-batter I have ever tasted, so it didn't seem that I went wrong there. The cupcakes (all 18 of them) went into the oven, and life seemed good.

..and then I took them out. The toothpick came out clean, but as soon as I started cutting the little cupcake-cones out they looked undercooked. I panicked. Back in the oven they went (a good 10 minutes after I turned it off), and it was basically downhill from there. On the upside, the frosting and filling turned out great! I ended up using apricot-raspberry preserves instead of raspberry jam, but it was still really yummy. I ate a lot of that to comfort myself while the cupcakes baked again.

Eventually I just gave up: they were not baking anymore. I was going to have to throw them all out, and I was going to have nothing for the class potluck the next day. That is, until I sampled one on my baking guinea pig... And guess what! She liked it! Turns out they were in fact really good, and I'd been freaking out for no reason. About a gazillion people told me they were fantastic the next day, and everyone lived happily ever after. 

(Which I'm hoping is going to be how I end ALL my baking adventures, but you never know...)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...